Sunday, February 10, 2013

Five Layer Bars

At my college cafeteria, Magic Cookie Bars were a dangerous discovery (I can blame them partially for my freshman 15).  Paula Deen has a recipe for Five Layer Bars that I made this weekend.  The only difference that I can see between the Five Layer Bars and Magic Cookie Bars is the butterscotch chips.  With Magic Cookie Bars you only use chocolate chips (so you would use 2 cups of chocolate chips instead of 1 cup and eliminate the butterscotch chips).  My husband loves the butterscotch aspect, but next time I think I'll have one side of the bars be only chocolate chips and the other half include butterscotch chips.  I would also grease the pan first.

Graham cracker crumbs and melted butter
Crumb layer
Semi-sweet chocolate and butterscotch chip layer
Coconut and pecan layer
Sweetened condensed milk layer
Fresh out of the oven
Up close
Five Layer Bar
Mmmmmm...

Paul Deen's Five Layer Bars
From Food Network Web site

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 stick salted butter, melted
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 cup butterscotch chips
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup shredded coconut
1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350. Combine the graham cracker crumbs and melted butter in a bowl. Press into the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle pecans, chips and coconut on top. Pour the sweetened condensed milk over the mixture and bake for 30 minutes. Cool completely and cut into bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment