Sunday, September 23, 2012

First Married Thanksgiving 2011

As fall is officially here, I am thinking about the pleasures of the season.  I love Thanksgiving.  Usually we go home to my family's house in Illinois, but last year for our first married Thanksgiving, we decided to stay in New York City and do our own thing/save money on flights.  We had so many cooking and kitchen accouterments from our wedding registry that we had all the tools we needed:
My mom sent us a beautiful floral arrangement, and we brought out our wedding china and flatware for the special occasion.

We cooked an entire turkey for two people (way too much and never again).  I used an Ina Garten recipe where you shove butter under the turkey's skin to keep it moist and have carrots, garlic, onions, and celery in the cavity to flavor the bird.  It was a very visceral and intense experience to dress the bird.  I think I'll wait until we have children over the age of 2 years old to do this again. 
Also, it took forever to cook the turkey in our shitty Roper oven.  The kitchen was a million degrees and everything was covered in turkey grease.  In addition to a giant turkey, we made my mom's noodle casserole, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, gravy, and of course...
 
PUMPKIN PIE!

If we do another NYC Thanksgiving for two, I think we'll order Chinese or Pizza and bake a pumpkin pie.  It's really all I need to feel festive.  By the time we had everything cooked and ready I was too exhausted and filthy-feeling to be hungry.


This year, we'll be with my husband's family in France; so we'll see how we celebrate Thanksgiving à la française.



No comments:

Post a Comment