Sunday, December 29, 2013

New Chair Story

I have had a lot of luck buying furniture from Housing Works (e.g. painted Peruvian armoire, Neo-Classical wood/upholstered armchair, and glass front cabinet to store wedding china/glassware), but I recently branched out and tried Furnish Green.  You can visit their website at http://furnishgreen.com/ if you're interested in checking out their stuff.  For the longest time, I have had a shoddy Target swivel chair at my desk that probably cost me $50 back in 2007.  I have been on the prowl for an affordable, masculine desk chair.

I liked this Pottery Barn swivel desk chair, but it cost close to $400 before shipping and would require assembly.
I saw this photo on Furnish Green of the "Tiger Oak Banker's Chair" and for several weeks coveted it.  Finally, I decided that I needed to buy it.  It was around $200, required no assembly, and could be picked up for the cost of a $20 cab ride and $5 freight elevator fee at Furnish Green.
Here it is at my desk.  I love it.
Rather than pay for delivery (I'm cheap), I went to Furnish Green in person.  It's couple of blocks away from Macy's Herald Square, and picked it up.  After standing outside in the cold and rain for 10 minutes trying to hail a cab, I finally got one that could fit the new chair in the back.  Once I got it home, I cleaned the chair vigorously with pledge and warm water (it was pretty gross underneath).  Now it looks as good as new, and I'm sitting in it and loving it.  I highly recommend Furnish Green for solid, good quality, vintage furniture.

No comments:

Post a Comment